Wednesday, June 16, 2010

heart warmed

Confession Time: I have never been one for good-byes, especially long drawn out ones. I really rather despise them actually. Everytime I find myself having to say goodbye to a family member I find myself struggling to maintain composure. If I'm lucky and can get away with just a quick hug and a "see ya later" with no backward looks or lingering, I can sometimes get away with just a lump in the back of my throat. It annoys me. I don't want to be like this. I feel like a whimp everytime.

The past week and a half Lanita and her family were visiting. The 10 days they were here came and went in the blink of an eye. Before I knew it, the time for the dreaded goodbye came, and once again I felt that familiar knot in my chest threatening to work itself up. This time I was determined to conquer it and stay strong. I was doing better than ever, that is until I came to my 9-year-old nephew. After a big hug he said, "Thank you for being a part of this. It wouldn't have been as much fun without you." Whamo. Thank you, Abram, for making that tearless goodbye nonexistent--and for making me feel like a million bucks. Heart warmed for the day...check.

3 comments:

lanita said...

You're making ME cry all over again.

Mama Tales said...

I don't know what is WRONG with you girls. I never shed a tear! Seriously it was so Great to have the Bells here and so hard to have them go.

rachel said...

Thanks a lot Michelle. I just got really homesick.