Sunday, December 30, 2012

The 24th year and the dentist


"You have 37 cavities," said the dentist.
"But, I don't even have 37 teeth!" I exclaimed.
"uh-huh." was Dentist's nonchalant reply, in a so-what-matter-of-fact tone.
"But, I've never had a cavity before, and you always tell me how beautiful my teeth are every year I come in! I take very careful care of my teeth. How can this be?! I can't possibly have such cavities you speak of!"

This is how I imagined my dentist appointment would go yesterday. This is how I imagined it would go ever since my sister came home with news from her dentist 2 years ago who had informed her that 75% of people will suddenly start getting cavities once they turn the magic age of 24, even if they have never had a cavity before and even if their dental hygiene hasn't changed, and then it's all down hill from there. Well, my dental hygiene changed after that, you bet it changed. I suddenly became quite intent on flossing every single day, and I went and bought 3 bottles of mouthwash the next day, and I used it multiple times a day until it started drying my mouth out, at which time I pulled back to just once a day. The only oral hygienic habit that didn't change was the 3-6 times a day I found myself at my sink brushing my teeth. Despite these efforts, I was just sure that I would walk out of the dentist when I was 24 with my teeth looking something like this:




With these new habits established, and the old habit continued, my 24th year at the dentist has long been approaching, and as it drew nearer, I grew more wary of the dreaded visit. As everything that is never wanted does, the day came much sooner than I wanted, and not to blow the ending of the story or anything, I survived. Here's about how it went after the traditional teeth cleaning:


Dentist walks in to my kind of pounding heart, brand new dentist I have never seen before. "Hi Michelle, let's take a look in your mouth."

Gulp. Are you sure about that?
He looks into my mouth, "Hmmm. Ahhh." Whatever that means, it's making me nervous. "Well, mouths like yours are bad for our business."
"Huh" is the only thing I can grunt out. Again, don't know what that means either.
He taps a tooth here, taps a tooth there. "You're mouth is so boring! How are we supposed to keep up a business with perfect teeth like yours?"
I give a courtesy laugh, because he's still looking. No way am I getting my hopes up yet. 
He keeps talking, "I guess it's good to keep a nice balance. we would be too overwhelmed with problems if everybody had bad teeth. I guess we'll keep your good teeth around."
"Uh-huh," yet another grunt. Do they really expect you to respond? I never have figured out dentist etiquette.
"One more spot here..." He mumbles. This is it. It's all over here. Here it comes, 10 cavities in one last tooth. I'm a goner. "Now stick your tongue out like a 3-year-old." As opposed to a 24-year-old at the dentist? I stick my tongue out. "Alright, looks good! Have a good day!" Dentist leaves.
I sat up, not fully aware of what just happened, shocked. Could it really be? 24 and cavity free? I'll take it. I can relax for another month or two until it will be time to start working myself up for next year's dental appointment.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

well, really it's 25 that's a sinker for teeth, watch out for 25....beware....beware (says the big sister again)